There are many Android smartphone options in the mid-range category. And the Poco M2 Pro is one of the best budget phones from Xiaomi. Poco M2 Pro comes with some amazing specifications that deliver great performance. And as it is a Xiaomi phone, it comes with a customizable UI. But if you want advanced features then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Poco M2 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
Poco Series started with the Poco F1 phone which is a budget flagship device of its time. And now Poco is a sub-brand like Redmi. It is popular for its best value for money phones. Now if we talk about the Poco M2 Pro specifications, it comes with a 6.67-inch FHD+ display. The device comes with a quad rear camera setup (48+8+5+2) and at the front, it has a 16MP selfie camera.
If you like rooting Android phones. And also want to root Poco M2 Pro, then this guide is for you. Xiaomi is one of the best brands that are popular for custom developments like custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, and more. It is also easy to root Xiaomi phones. Rooting has many purposes such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. In this guide, we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Poco M2 Pro along with the root guide.
How to Root Poco M2 Pro
Poco is a sub-brand from Xiaomi and so it is also popular among custom developers. It means you can also install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels on your Poco M2 Pro. There are many advanced features that require root access. And so we are going to share an easy method to root Poco M2 Pro. But before rooting, you need to unlock bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
Poco M2 Pro Unlock Bootloader
All Android phones come with locked bootloader that restricts users from writing on the system. It means you can not root your phone without unlocking the bootloader. And luckily Xiaomi allows its users to Unlock Bootloader of their phone easily. Follow the below steps to unlock bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
- Unlocking the bootloader of Poco M2 Pro will wipe all the data, so first, take a full backup of your phone.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more than 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Now you have to enable developer options, so go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Then open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Poco M2 Pro into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco M2 Pro.
- When it detects your phone, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco M2 Pro, and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stops at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking the bootloader of Poco M2 Pro, you can do system-level changes on your phone. Now you can also root your Poco M2 Pro. But before moving to the root steps, make sure to go through the prerequisites.
Steps to Root Poco M2 Pro with Magisk
- First, copy the downloaded Magisk Manager apk on your phone and install it.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC. Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file. It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the patched file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then copy the patched file to your computer at location C:adb. And rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Poco M2 Pro and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the C:adb folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here.’
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Poco M2 Pro.
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When the device boot into the system, open the Magisk Manager app, and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all, now your Poco M2 Pro is successfully rooted.
Now you can enjoy all the root features including apps that require root access to run. Root access will let you install Xposed Framework which opens the gate for Xposed Modules. And you can also remove pre-installed apps from your device.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Poco M2 Pro along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Poco M2 Pro. If you have any questions on your mind let us know in the comment section.